Town of Louisville [ loo-is-ville ] was originally known as “Gillespie’s Landing”. The ‘Landing’ was settled in the 1790’s by John and Robert Gillespie and Samuel Saffell. The town was renamed Louisville a few year later.
By the mid-1800’s, the community was an important flatboat and steamboat port on the Tennessee River. The town apparently had mills, warehouses, shops and stores.
During the period of the Civil War, the town was occupied several times. In 1867 and 1875, the town was flooded by the Tennessee River which crested at more than 40 feet. These floods apparently destroyed many of the warehouses and other riverfront properties. In the following years, the town re-established itself as a major steamboat stop. In the early 1900’s the L&N railroad came to the town and the port importance waned.
In 1943, the lakefront properties of the town were inundated by establishment of Fort Loudoun Lake. The water of the river rose at least 30 feet and created 2 peninsulas which are now the historical portion of the original town. Current TVA topographical maps indicate a number of streets or roads which were covered as well as approximately 23 structures.
Today you can see a number of the original surviving homes along Main Street and Cox Road. In 1974, that area was declared a national historic district by the National Register of Historic Places.
In 1990, the Town of Louisville was chartered. Today, the town hall, fire station and other building are located on a tract along Louisville Road.
The town operates several lake front parks; Louisville Point Park and Poland Creek Park are the largest. The Louisville Landing Marina is one of the largest marinas on Ft. Loudoun Lake.